Modern office life – too much time on mobile phones and staring at computer screens – is giving us rounded shoulders and poor posture. This one move can help undo the damage.
It’s called the Prone Cobra (great name), a simple postural improvement exercise that will strengthen all the anti-slouch muscles of your back to improve your posture. Best of all, you can do it anytime, anywhere – without any equipment.
- Start lying face down
- Squeeze your butt hard
- Lift your chest just off the floor – you don’t need to raise it super high
- Turn your palms out and away from your body, so that your thumbs are turned up
- Squeeze your shoulder blades tight
- Keep your chin gently tucked so that your neck is long
- Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat 3-4 times.
When you are in the correct position you should feel like your shoulders have rolled back and your chest is open. If you find it difficult to get your palms to turn out, you may need to stretch your pecs to help you get the correct range.
TIP: If you find holding for 20-30 seconds too challenging, simply aim for 10 x 10-second holds.
Watch me show how it’s done here: